I've written before about how I don't believe in writer's block, and I still don't believe in the kind where you simply don't have any ideas. That kind is always about fear. Once you find your fear, you can easily overcome this kind of block.
But for the last year, I've been writing quite a lot. I've written more than two hundred thousand words of my original manuscript. Unfortunately, I've been writing in circles. Characters changed, merged together, and storylines diverged in unusual ways and never return to the original premise I set when I began this story. I've read writing manuals, studied, and rewritten, only to have it happen again, and again, and again.
A friend recently asked whether I was trying to write genre fiction or literary fiction, knowing, no doubt, my tendency to wax philosophical with my stories. I realized she was right; I was writing plot points and a premise for science fiction/urban fantasy genre fiction, but once I sat down to write I was trying to write literary fiction, deviating immediately from the plot.
Since then I've been far more productive, but I'm breaking old habits now. It's been a tough journey to come from writing fanfic in an established world to my own work. I didn't think it would be this hard. But, thankfully, I have friends who give me honest advice and critique.
And now, to deal with GSJennsen
's tag (check out her new book too!)
Ten Things About Me (ahem):
1. I have unnaturally good hearing. I can hear dog whistles. My children hate this about me.
2. I can eat anything with chopsticks.
3. The first science fiction book I ever read was Heinlein's "4-H", a collection of short stories, when I was ten years old.
4. I thought I was allergic to cats until I was 35 years old.
5. I'm immune to poison ivy, poison sumac, and poison oak. Thank goodness.
6. I started writing short stories when I was eight.
7. My dreams are incredibly vivid and follow storylines, kinda like that Leonardo DiCaprio movie Inception
8. I LOVE RPGs... but I can't play them unless I'm sick because once I start, I can't stop. I'm like an addict. I can't think about anything else. So I have to have vacation from everything to play, which rarely happens. :sadface:
9. My first car was a 1976 Ford Maverick.
10. I collect nostalgia paperbacks, like the Conan series.
Now for my tags: auntholly Chaogirl200 darksunshaman Hipbone58 JasmineAlexandra Philliwolf5 joanfarley Dragonwyrd316 LadyMerrethsAuthor rebornhoneybee
You must list ten things about yourself in your journal and tag ten more people. There are rules, evidently, but I'm a rule-breaker so I won't paste them here. I'M A REBEL.